Each year WCES recognizes two members from our engineering community for their community service efforts. The Engineering Service Award is open to all WCES society members while the Outstanding Young Engineer Award requires the former and the member to be under the age of thirty-five (35) with a maximum of 10 years experience (post BS).
Both awards are presented at the Annual Engineers Week Banquet, hosted by the Engineering Council. Nominations must be electronically submitted to Paul Pendleton by January 30, 2018. Information regarding nomination criteria, forms for nomination, and past winners are listed below:
General Criteria For Awards
Nominee must be a member in good standing (dues paid) of the
nominating engineering society affiliated with WCES.
Nominee must have contributed time and effort utilizing engineering
abilities in one or more of the following areas:
- Public Service - application of professional abilities, ie: tutoring, Math Counts, Science Olympiad, science fairs, scouting, public boards, etc.
- Public Awareness - acceptance/promotion of profession, ie: speaker bureau, career guidance, etc.
Professionalism - advancement of the profession, ie: helping
with engineering exams, career planning/enhancement/counseling,
teaching technical continuing education courses, engineering
legislative concerns (pensions and patents), engineering
advancement committees, and engineering organization offices
(local or national).
Nominee's volunteering efforts must be:
- current, as opposed to several years ago
- an investment of substantial personal (uncompensated) time
- personal and direct, as opposed to financial support
public service, as opposed to in conjunction with services
for family members
Exempt from Nomination:
- current WCES representatives and/or alternates
current chair or president of WCES affiliated society
Nominees should be informed of his/her nomination or may nominate themselves.
General Reference Guidance
- two references required
- references should be from people familiar with nominee and volunteer efforts (co-workers, society members, etc.)
Engineering Service Award
|1992||Edwin B. Midkiff||ASQC|
|1993||George Dean, PE||IEEE|
|1994||Bonnie L. Johnson||SWE|
|1995||William R. Wenzlaff||SAE|
|1997||Wilmer Freund, PE||WSPE|
|2000||William J. Wilhelm, PE||WSPE|
|2002||Michael E. Richerson||SAE|
|2003||Lawrence D Hole PE||WSPE|
|2004||Barbara J Davis||SWE|
|2010||Robert J Potter||ASNT|
|2015||Vicki Johnson, PhD||INCOSE|
|2016||Tim Austin, P.E.||WSPE|
Outstanding Young Engineer
|2012||Sean Miller PE||ASHRAE|